This page is a little bit of a time capsule.
I’ve been retired – well from doing IT work anyway – since 2020. Since then I’ve been able to devote myself to painting and drawing fulltime.
Below is what I did during my 20 year hiatus from the art world…some folks may find it interesting or amusing.
I’ve spent the last 20 years doing work increasingly focused on the IT field – specifically web technologies. I started out designing websites and writing HTML with a mouse in one hand and a book in the other. From those humble beginnings, I’m now architecting cloud-based server solutions and managing web environments for a Fortune 500 company and its various subsidiaries. Who would have thought it?
My focus is on finding appropriate solutions to customer needs.
Experienced IT professional with over 12 years experience working with Internet and web technologies, including management and deploying cloud-based server environments. Skilled in Apache and IIS installation and administration, and support for CMS systems, including FatWire, Drupal, DNN, and WordPress. Responsible for user training and documentation. Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong graphic design sense honed in an advertising/marketing background.
Certifications: ITIL V3 Foundation certification and Six Sigma Greenbelt certification.
Senior Systems Analyst, Textron Information Services (January 2014 – present)
Manage and administer cloud-based hosting and web services for Textron and its subsidiaries’ externally facing websites on both Apache/Linux and IIS/Windows platforms. Provide technical support and recommendations to communication managers responsible for maintaining external and internal content. Specify and configure services and architecture for new web initiatives. Manage Textron’s portfolio of over 1000 domains. Provide support and customization for business users of Google Analytics and end user support for multiple CMS systems (including Drupal, DNN, Sitecore and WordPress). Perform Linux and middleware patching and security reviews for all environments.
- In the months leading up to this position, functioned as primary internal technical resource responsible for design and deployment of new cloud-based hosting environment, which included sizing Windows and Linux servers, installing and configuring hosting software, configuring environments, working with information security to lock down environments, and migrating over 20 enterprise web sites from legacy to new environment.
- Installed and configured Drupal, DNN and WordPress CMS systems as part of the migration to the new environment.
- Phase 2 conversion of DNN and Drupal from single server to load-balanced environments after initial migrations.
Project Manager, eBusiness/Web, Textron Information Services (December 2008 – December 2013)
Managed web services for Textron and its subsidiaries’ externally facing websites and supported internal communication managers responsible for maintaining content. Provided project management for new web initiatives. Managed Textron’s portfolio of over 1000 domains. Troubleshot technical issues with user sites. Provided administrative and end user support for FatWire CMS.
- Designed, architected and deployed Amazon Web Services cloud-based server environments as a pilot project now used for all Jacobsen websites. Textron had not previously used cloud services; project included drafting presentations to sell upper management on cloud services.
- Project managed conversion and relaunch of Bell Helicopter, E-Z-GO, Cushman and Bad Boy Buggies using Textron’s enterprise FatWire CMS.
- Designed and developed code to automatically update press releases for Bell Helicopter, Cushman, Textron Systems, Textron Defense and other sites using a shared XML news feed from Textron’s news service. Designed and developed a dealer locator using Google maps.
Project Manager, CMS, Textron Information Services (April 2006 – December 2008)
Responsible for day-to-day administration and user support for Textron’s enterprise FatWire content management system, used to manage over 500 departmental intranet sites. Created training materials and documentation and did initial training of the first wave of users when system went live.
- Evaluated products and made recommendation for final selection of content management system.
- Creation of an automated authorization request system using InfoPath and Sharepoint which used workflow to gather approvals for access to CMS system (Six Sigma Green Belt project).
- Developed a branding system within the CMS which enabled individual business unit branding while using a shared template set.
- Part of the team responsible for launching Cessna.com using Textron’s enterprise CMS; prior to this, only internal sites had used the system.
Senior Systems Analyst, Bell Helicopter (February 2003 – July 2006)
Duties included design and coding of new internal and external websites to address business needs. Additionally performed maintenance updates on existing internal and external websites. Technical lead and chief developer of Bell’s content management system.
- Evaluation and selection of a lightweight content management system used as a stopgap to be used at Bell Helicopter. This was used throughout Bell before Textron made a decision regarding a content management system.
- Development of a set of common templates used by Bell’s interim CMS to manage departmental content and development of code using Bell’s interim CMS to relaunch Bell’s external website.
- Technical lead and chief developer for Secure Access application used to streamline requests for web access. Application captured user information, used workflow for routing and capturing approvers’ decision and comments in a database for audit purposes.
Product Specialist, Bell Helicopter (January 2001 – February 2003)
Member of Bell Helicopter’s eBusiness Group. Responsible for design and development of web-based solutions for Bell departments.
- Part of a team responsible for creating a used helicopter website selling Bell and other brands; major contribution included creation of user authentication code, module used to enter helicopters to be sold.
- Creation of helicopter auction site used in conjunction with the used helicopter site; this was nominated for an internal innovation award.
Web Consultant (January 1995 – January 2001)
Partner in a 2 person web and design consulting firm
- Ongoing development and maintenance of Michaels Stores web site 1995 – 2000. Responsible for all content and technical support. Developed and maintained numerous applications including special promotions, interactive holiday features, store locator, and on-line project library.
- Consultation to various area design firms as implementation specialists. Clients included The Peterson Group and Rhodes Stafford Wines Creative; sites included Bucknell University admissions, TCU Fine Arts Department, Classic BMW Dealership, Fujitsu USA.
Other work experience includes:
- Director of Graphic Services; Pier 1 Advertising Agency, Ft. Worth, Texas
- Art Director; Larson/Bateman Advertising, Santa Barbara, California
- Art Director; D’Arcy, McManus & Masius, St. Louis, Missouri
- Master of Fine Arts, North Texas State University (now University of North Texas), Denton, Texas
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Texas Christian University, Ft. Worth, Texas